In the last episode of Rough Draft, your host Demian Farnworth explored storytelling from a myriad of angles, culminating in a thorough vetting of Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey concept.
This time, Demian thoroughly vets Campbell — the man — with superstar Campbell scholar Robert Segal.
Professor Segal is an unstoppable fount of knowledge about Campbell and his work, particularly the Hero’s Journey.
This is a frolicking good ride for those who love myth, psychology, and storytelling. Not to mention a little treat from your host about 20 minutes in. Not to be missed!
In this 55-minute episode of Rough Draft, you’ll discover:
- Campbell’s habit of pitting myth against religion — and why it’s a mistake
- Whether Campbell was more Freudian or Jungian
- Why we shouldn’t look at Campbell as a guru
- What myth is really about
- The mystery of why British students are not smitten with Campbell the way Americans are
- The thing about Campbell that frustrates Professor Segal to no end (it’s really screwy)
- And more!
The post The Beautiful Message Joseph Campbell Was Really Trying to Tell Us appeared first on Copyblogger.